Keeping the Fashion and Beauty Industry Well-Polished



Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Roots and Wings, part II

August was a long month, I had decided to make the move from the suburb of Cleveland where I grew up to New York City to freelance full time. The hardest thing was telling my boss. But like I hoped, she was, and still is very supportive of my career, even if it is not in her salon anymore. I began telling my clients of my plans, and looking for nail artists to step in and take over my clientele.

I arrived to NYC late on a Sunday night with 3 suitcases: all my nail stuff, and as many clothes, shoes and toiletries I could fit in between all the bottles of nail polish :)

For the longest time I was planning on taking my career to Los Angeles. I have friends in the business there, and I hate the cold more than anything... except driving. Which is what ultimately made me choose NYC over LA. The traffic in LA is horrific and the NYC subway entertainment at rush hour cant be beat ;)

I rarely get lost on the subway anymore, and tourists (or what I would rather call them, 'travellers') frequently ask me for directions. Because I remember just last year, with all my nail stuff in tow (one large, heavy suitcase and one medium one) getting so lost on the subway, at night, alone. I was meant to go to the Lower East Side... and ended up in the Upper West Side. Not fun.

So let's just say I don't mind helping non-locals find their ways around NYC transit... because, we've all been there. And like the title says, "Roots and Wings: Remember where you came from, but know where you're going". xx

No comments:

Post a Comment